Image copyright University of St Andrews
Founded in the fifteenth century, St Andrews is Scotland's first university and the third oldest in the English speaking world. Teaching began in the community of St Andrews in 1410 and the University was formally constituted by the issue of a papal bull in 1413.
Mathematicians associated with St Andrews in its first 300 years include John Maior, John Napier, and James Gregory. For more, see Mathematics in St Andrews to 1700. Some of their works and papers are in the University Special Collections. The conference programme will include various opportunities to view some of these books and manuscripts.
The conference will be held in Parliament Hall, so named because it was the meeting place of the Scots Parliament in 1645-46. It is directly below the King James Library, the room in which James Gregory worked. Gregory's meridian is marked on the pavement of South St, immediately outside the Hall. Parallel sessions will be in the Senate Room which houses Gregory's rare split seconds clock.
Parliament Hall is on the south side of South St. It is building 67 on this map.
Parliament Hall is at ground level, with access directly on to South St. The Senate room is on the first floor, up a flight of stairs.
Metered parking is available on South St for up to 2 hours, but is often hard to get. Pay and display car parks are about 10 minutes walk away, and free parking about 15 minutes walk. Parking Map
Town buses 64, 95 and 99D stop within 5 minutes walk of Parliament Hall